And we think that’s too many.
Tens of thousands are injured every year.
These injuries and deaths are preventable with simple safety measures. According to the CPSC, more than 90 percent of the incidents involved children 5 years old and younger. In more than half of the 245 fatalities (56%), the child was crushed by the weight of the television, furniture, or appliance. The majority of these children suffered fatal injuries to the head (67%).
In addition, more than 22,000 children 8 years old and younger are treated in hospital emergency rooms every year (2008-2010) for injuries related to instability or tipover of televisions, furniture, and appliances. And like the fatalities, a majority of these injuries (56%) are to the head.
To prevent tragedies follow these safety tips in any home where children live or visit:
- Anchor furniture to the wall or the floor.
- Place TVs on sturdy, low bases.
- Or, anchor the furniture and the TV on top of it, and push the TV as far back on the furniture as possible.
- Keep remote controls, toys, and other items that might attract children off TV stands or furniture.
- Keep TV and/or cable cords out of reach of children.
- Make sure freestanding kitchen ranges and stoves are installed with anti-tip brackets.
- Supervise children in rooms where these safety tips have not been followed.
Children like to climb, and unsecured furniture makes their natural curiosity unsafe. And that’s why we’ve teamed up with KidCo to give one of our readers sets of thier Furniture and Flat Screen TV Anchor Straps.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook or Twitter. You understand that you are providing information to The Maven of Social Media and not a third party. The information you provide will only be used to administer this promotion. No purchase is necessary and a purchase of any kind will not increase an individuals chances of winning. You MUST complete the mandatory entry/entries in order to qualify. This WILL be checked! This giveaway is open to residents of the United States ONLY. **We are not responsible for non-fulfillment of sponsor prizes.** Winner is responsible for all associated taxes. Thank you and Good Luck!