Battery Safety for Kids

This sponsored post about battery safety for kids is brought to you by The Motherhood. All thoughts and opinions are still my own.

We live in an age of technology, and whether it’s a handheld game, a musical card, the bathroom scale, the TV remote or our car fob, we cannot avoid batteries. Technology is a convenience, but it can also bring danger. Did you know that in 2012 there were 3500 reported incidents of swallowed batteries? 17 of these cases resulted in serious injuries, and sadly, two of them were deaths.

It’s time to seriously start thinking about battery safety for kids.

If you have a child 4 and under, they are particularly at risk for swallowing batteries. When a coin lithium button battery gets stuck in a child’s throat, the saliva triggers an electrical current. This causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours. Symptoms of coin-sized button battery ingestion may be similar to other childhood illnesses, such as coughing, drooling, and discomfort. This means you might not even KNOW your child has swallowed a battery. I don’t know about you, but I think that’s scary.

I’m sure you’re thinking, well that won’t happen to me. I hope it won’t. But what is sad is it does happen.

At a year old, Emmett Rauch swallowed a button battery. His mother, Karla, shares her family’s experience dealing with this Emmett’s life-altering injuries.  You can also visit Karla’s blog and Facebook page to learn more about their journey.

Steps to take for battery safety for kids

Prevention and Treatment
Remember the 4 S’s of battery safety:
o STORE devices that use coin lithium batteries out of reach of children
o SELECT battery packaging that complies with the child-resistant packaging standards and recommendations made by the staff at the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, such as Energizer coin lithium battery packaging
o SECURE the battery compartments of devices and look for devices that contain a child safety feature for their battery doors, such as a screw or child-resistant mechanism.
o SHARE this information with your friends and family. A recent survey revealed that 62 percent of parents are not aware of the dangers of coin lithium battery ingestions; Energizer and the National Safety Council hope to change that.
• If you believe your child has swallowed a coin-size button battery:
o Go to the emergency room immediately.
o Tell doctors and nurses that it might be a coin-sized button battery.
o If possible, provide the medical team with the identification number found on the battery’s package.
o Do not let the child eat or drink until an X-ray can determine if a battery is present.
o Do not induce vomiting.

More resources on battery safety for kids

Visit or for more information, facts and tips.

Screen Shot 2013-09-22 at 12.34.44 PM Screen Shot 2013-09-22 at 12.34.28 PM Battery Safety for Kids4s of Coin Lithium Battery SafetyBe Safe

What tips do you have for battery safety for kids?

About Kerri Jablonski

Kerri Jablonski AKA The Maven lives in Seattle,WA with her 3 kids (2008, 2010, 2013), husband, cats and backyard chickens. Two of her children have special needs. Kerri enjoys cooking, travel, movies and spending time with her family.

Speak Your Mind