On February 25th, people submiited stories of Local Heroes (people who are dealing with or overcoming their mobility challenges) to the NMEDA Facebook page to wo win one of the three custom Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles! Pretty great!
What is a Local Hero?
A Local Hero can be defined as anyone in your community – whether a caregiver, veteran or person with disabilities, who Volunteer, Educate, Advocate, Achieve, Persevere!
Beginning on March 11th -May 10th voting begins for your favorite Local Hero on www.mobilityawarenessmonth.com. Winners are selected on May 20th and announced on May 30th.
Did you know:
• People with disabilities constitute the largest minority group in the United States
• Over 18 million people in the U.S. and Canada have mobility issues
• One in five elderly have mobility issues
• You have a 20% chance of becoming disabled at some point in your life if you don’t already have a disability
• There are mobility equipment manufacturers, dealers and driver rehabilitation specialists in your community dedicated to improving the lives of people with disabilities
• Automotive mobility solutions are available for people with disabilities enabling them to enjoy active, mobile lifestyle.
While it's too late to submit a Local Hero this year, you can still make a difference by going to vote for someone you feel deserves to be recognized!