I’m one of those weird people that loves cranberry juice. Real cranberry juice. I love the puckering tartness. And the best part? It’s pretty darn good for me. Cranberries are a rich source of antioxidants. Are all cranberry juices created equal? The answer is no! Drinking 100% cranberry juice is a far better choice than cocktail blends, which may contain HFCS.
In addition, a glass of 100% juice may not only prevent urinary tract infections (and who wants those!) it’s also considered one of your daily servings of fruits and vegetables, considering 70% of Americans don’t meet the daily allowance, that in itself is a big deal. Be sure to check the label! Cranberry juice should be the very first juice listed! Ingredients are always in order from the ingredient that weighs the most to the one that weighs the least.
I’ll totally admit, sometimes just plain cranberry juice gets well, a little boring. It needs just the tiniest kick. So if the kids are in bed (so there’s no risk to them drinking my juice) I might add a shot of vodka, maybe an orange slice or too. Sounds good right?
More Simply Delicious Ideas Using High-Content Cranberry Juice
If you don’t like the acidic flavor of cranberry juice, try these simple summer ideas to cut the tartness and enjoy the nutritional benefits:
• Mix 1/4 cup of pure cranberry juice (or 1 cup of cranberry cocktail or 100% juice blend) with 1 cup of sparkling lime water. If you prefer a sweeter flavor add a few drops of liquid stevia or substitute a diet lemon-lime soft drink. Serve over ice.
• Mix either 1/4 cup of pure cranberry juice, or 1 cup 100% juice blend or cocktail with 1 cup of iced tea, add a few drops of liquid stevia or honey if you prefer a sweeter flavor. Serve over ice.
• Cranberry Sangria: Simply combine the following ingredients and chill for 4 hours. A bottle (750 ml) of fruity red wine, 4 cups of cranberry juice, 1 cup of orange juice, 1 thinly sliced orange, 1 cored and thinly sliced apple, 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen cranberries. Serve over ice.
• In the Wintertime try a hot mulled cranberry drink. Simply combine 1 cup of cranberry juice, 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 cloves and a slice of orange in a small saucepan. Simmer gently and strain before serving. For an adult version add a splash of brandy before serving.
• When making oatmeal try replacing the water with cranberry juice.
• Add pure cranberry juice to a vinaigrette with a touch of honey to perk up your salad greens or add a unique flavor to a marinade.
Wondering what to use for your recipe? Here are 10 Cranberry juices to look for.
This isn’t an all inclusive list, so be sure to check out what’s available where you shop! Just make sure you’re selecting cranberry juices with the highest cranberry juice content.
365 Organic (Whole Foods)
100% Juice Cranberry
Kirkland Signature Cranberry
L&A All Cranberry
Lakewood Pure Cranberry
Langers Cranberry Juice Cocktail
Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Cocktail
Roundy’s Cranberry Juice Cocktail
RW Knudsen Family Just Cranberry
Trader Joe’s 100% Cranberry Juice
Wild Harvest (SuperValu Inc.) Cranberry 100% Juice
Want to learn more about getting the most nutritional bang for your juice? Check out the Be Berry Aware website! It’s full of fantastic information about the importance of berries!
How do you drink your cranberry juice?
Disclosure: This compensated post is made possible by Mom Spark Media. All thoughts are my own.