In case you missed it, my husband and I closed on our first home last month. We have a fixer-upper, which is pretty typical in Seattle. So we’ve been working on it. DIY kind of stuff. And we’ve had some help. Here’s were the point of the post comes in.
Make sure your help knows what they are doing or this is what happens…
Now, you really can’t tell from the photo that easily, but the tiles aren’t evenly spaced or level. Also – the spaces were used incorrectly and really? random pieces of wood as spacers? Thanks.
We found out once we started prying the tiles up that the cement was way too thick and the sealant hadn’t cured .
Luckily, all of the tiles were able to be pried up without breaking or any damage to the floor. They can’t be reused for this project but at least we didn’t have to crack all the ceramic tile! It also meant we didn’t have to cut out the subfloor.
Of course, there was still lots of patchy cement to deal with. Lucky for us, since it wasn’t mixed properly to begin with, it cooperated with us. Again, thankful for this!
When you have the right tools, fixing a botched job isn’t horrible, just time consuming.
A little bit of work, and we are ready to start over. We’ll be picking up new supplies today, and this time, doing it ourselves. Lesson learned.
I’ll take more photos when it’s done right. Ha!