Thanks to Cat’s Pride for sponsoring this post on reasons to own a cat!
By the time I was 6, I was pegged a crazy cat lady. It was when I got my first kitten, Seddy, a manx mix rescued from my mom’s friends barn. With those first mews I was in love, and it started a life long desire to be owned by cats. Prudence and Jhana got me through college, and my husband had the most amazing milk tabby, Rhind. Those cats are no longer with us, and we will miss them dearly, but our lives will never be without cats.
We currently have two cats at our house, and I swear the neighbors cat prefers us too. I could go on and on about the reasons to own a cat, but since it’s June and Adopt-A-Cat Month I’ll keep it short and sweet. Well, at least sweet.
15 Reasons to Own a Cat
1. Perhaps one of the best reasons to own a cat is that you’re saving a life. Every year between 6 to 8 million cats and dogs are taken in by animal shelters each year in the U.S. – about half of them are euthanized.
2. Cats make you cool. In the United States, cats are more popular than dogs. There are 88 million cats compared to 74 million dogs.
3. Feeling stressed? Cats are amazing therapy animals. They can serve as social support during difficult times, whether its a bad day or a loss of some sort in your life. Having a cat in your life reduces stress and anxiety, thus bringing down the risk of cardiovascular disease, reducing your chance of a heart attack by 40 percent. The simple act of stroking a cat for a few minutes has been shown to release “feel good” endorphins in the brain.
4. Purring. Perhaps the sweetest sound a cat can make. My ol girl Prudence, a sweet grey tuxedo I had in college had the most wonderful purr. Not only that, a cat’s purr has healing powers. The vibrations in their purr, which range from 20 to 140 Hz, has been found to lower blood pressure, promote bone strength, heal muscle and ligament injuries, and decrease symptoms of dyspnea.
5. There’s also this really cool study at the University of Queensland discovered that autistic children with cats were more likely to speak, look at faces and smile than those without feline contact. How amazing is that?
6. Cats are good listeners and provide excellent emotional support, without the therapy bills. My cat Prudence had outstanding therapy skills.
7. Having cats around children helps them build stronger immune systems, children with cats usually have less allergies and respiratory issues. Already have allergies to pet dander? There are cat breeds that are considered to be hypoallergenic including Oriental Shorthairs, Russian Blues, Siamese and Sphynx.
8. Love to sleep? Cats make the best cuddle buddies. Since a cat spends about 15 or so hours a day sleeping, you don’t have to feel guilty about snuggling up for a cat nap, after all, it’s good for both of you.
9. Cats take up much less space than most dogs. Making them ideal for most apartments and other small living quarters.
10. Not only do you have to not worry about rushing home to walk a cat in the cold and rain, cats are naturally independent animals. You still need to give them love and attention, but they aren’t nearly as needed as dogs.
11. For as aloof as cats can be, they’re protective by nature and get very attached to their owners. Every cat I’ve ever lived with has been beyond loyal.
12. Don’t like bugs? Cats will hunt them. They’ll also keep lizards and mice at bay, and fight off crumpled pieces of paper and dead socks when you need them to. They can’t completely control a pest issue, but they can help!
13. Except for brushing them, there’s no need to go to the groomers (unless perhaps you have a long hair cat with an unruly coat.) Cat’s are very neat and tidy and can groom themselves. And will do so, religiously.
14. Be kind to every cat you meet. Cats initiate contact and remember kindness shown to them, returning it in the future. I can tell you from experience I know this is true, I’ve had friends cats remember me and give me so much attention, that their owners get put out. True story.
15. If you’re considering reasons for owning a cat, consider two. They will entertain each other, and entertain you!
Whether you’re considering bringing home a new companion or two for Adopt-A-Cat Month, or you already have a feline presence in your home, check out Cat’s Pride Fresh & Light Ultimate Care lightweight litter. The product is 50% lighter and is formulated with highly absorbent minerals and no fillers, guaranteeing 10 days of odor control, the strongest clumps and low dust and tracking. Cat’s Pride Fresh & Light Ultimate Care offers the ultimate performance at a great value. The product is offered in a 10 pound jug, in both scented and unscented hypoallergenic varieties. In addition, Cat’s Pride has provided helpful cat adoption tips.