Quincy is starting to show an interest in cooking – but the idea of letting her loose with the heavy doors of the double oven scare me. Toaster ovens have grown lightyears since I was a kid, and with help, Quincy will be learning to bake delicious kid friendly foods in a toaster oven with a grown-ups supervision.
Lucky for Quincy, our friends at Hamilton Beach sent her their EasyReach 4-Slice Toaster Oven so she can learn to bake safely with my help!
What things kids can make in a toaster oven?
We’ve been working on a list of things we want to do, with a zillion pizza variations of course, so some of these recipes are incomplete as we tweak out ingredients and cooking times as we figure them out, I hope I remember to update the post. (Feel free to comment on the post and pester me as a reminder!)
We love our new EasyReach 4-Slice Toaster Oven. I love the roll top door because it’s easier for me to “move it out of the way” so we lessen the risk of burns, plus, we don’t risk spilling food on the door (something I used to do ALL THE TIME.) This toaster oven allows us to be really create because it fits four slices or a 9” pizza. Plus it bakes, broils and of course toasts.
21 Things Kids Can Make in a Toaster Oven with Help
1. Strawberry pizzas – toasted English Muffin, spread with cream cheese and top with strawberries
2. Breakfast pizzas – a little bit of salsa, top with cooked scrambled eggs, and shredded cheese, toast until the cheese melts.
3. Tuna melts – tuna salad on a bagel or English Muffin, top with cheese – toasted until the cheese melts
4. Quesadillas – small tortilla, fill with shredded cheese and fold over, toast until melty.
5. Mini muffins – make your favorite quick muffins in a small muffin pan, bake as directed.
6. Cookies – presliced cookie dough is perfect for little hands to place on a toaster oven sized cookie sheet. Bake as directed.
7. Quick breads – This is on our list to try, since the smaller pans may alter the baking time.
8. Broiled Grapefruit – drizzle honey over half a grapefruit. Broil until it begins to caramelize and enjoy!
9. Grilled Cheese – your favorite bread, your favorite cheese. Toast to perfection.
10. Frittatas: Scramble up some eggs, cheese and peppers. Pour in small ramekins and bake.
11. Tortilla Pizza – Slather a tortilla with tomato sauce, spread shredded cheese and top with pepperoni.
12. Bacon – Easiest clean up ever. Line a small toaster pan with foil first!
13. Roasted Nuts – toss some of your favorite nuts on a cookie sheet and toast! Make sure they don’t burn!
14. Pita Chips – use a pizza cutter to slice pita chips into wedges and then bake them until they crisp.
15. Tortilla Tart – Slice up some apples and place on a flour tortilla, sprinkle with butter and cinnamon, fold tortilla over and bake until crispy.
16. Kale Chips – Wash and dry kale, spritz with oil, sprinkle with sea salt & lemon zest – bake carefully.
17. S’mores – Easy peasy. Graham cracker + chocolate + marsmallow + graham cracker. Toast.
18. Roasted bananas – slice a banana length wise, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake.
19. Baked eggs – Instead of scrambling, crack an egg over some spinach leaves. Bake as is. Yummy!
20. Scones: We cheat here! We bake scones using premade dough! Delicious!
21. Nachos – load up chips on a baking tray, layer with cheese, olives and other toppings.
There’s actually a crazy amount of things you can make in a toaster oven – from chicken nuggets to baking fish. If you have a pan that will fit, you can do it! As the days get warmer and I don’t want to heat up the whole oven for dinner, I know we’re going to get a lot of use out of our toaster oven and come up with even more ideas.