Wondering how to make back to school lunches more fun? Check out our great list of school lunch ideas, plus some tips on packing lunches and more.
Back to School Lunch Ideas
If you’ve exhausted your list on what to pack in school lunches, here are some things to make your lunches fun again!
1. Bagel, Yogurt, Chips and Fruit | The Mama Maven
2. Corn Dog Muffins | I Am the Maven
3. Fruit & Cheese (or Veggie & Cheese) Kabobs | How Does She
4. Ham & Cheese Tortilla Rolls | Emmy Mom
5. Multigrain Chips, Guacamole, Pears and Cucumbers | Stuffed Suitcase
6. Waffles with Peanut Butter, Nutella or Almond Butter | Kids Activities Blog
7. Sandwich Apples | Dining with Alice
8. 4 Cheese Pepperoni Pizza Bites | Glue Sticks & Gumdrops
9. Bento for Teens or Adults | I Am the Maven
10. Zucchini Cupcakes and Pepper Boats | Kids Activities Blog
11. Mini Hot Dogs | Jo and Sue
12. Pizza Buns | Simple as That
13. Dinosaur Bento Lunch | Glue Sticks & Gumdrops
14. Apples and Cheese Wraps | Weelicious
15. Nutella and Banana Sushi | Kidspot
Tips for making school lunches
Use drinks as ice packs!
Freeze drinks the night before and they keep your lunches cool and be thawed by lunch time.
Make sandwiches in advance
Make a big batch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and freeze them. Your pb&j will keep in the freezer for about 4-6 weeks. Take one out of the freezer in the morning and should be thawed by lunch time.
Make single servings or rice or pasta
When you have leftover rice and pasta from dinner, portion them out in snack size bags. Make sure to label the bag with the date. You can freeze them for 30 days. Just defrost by running cool water over the bag and massaging gently.
Pack your lunch in divided lunch boxes.
Using a divided lunch box not only reduces packaging waste, but it helps you make sure you’ve packed a complete lunch.
Make your own lunchables.
Use your divided lunch containers to make your own custom lunchables. Plus when you make your own you can add some fruit too!
Make your own uncrustables
Use a sandwich sealer to make your own pocket sandwiches!
Have your kids pack their own lunches.
Give your kids the responsibility of packing their own lunches! Make sure they have guidelines on what to pack. You will save time, and they know exactly what is in their lunch!
Make a snack station for your kids.
Having snack stations makes it easy for the kids to not only pack their own lunch, but have a kid friendly snack they can grab without asking you. Make sure to give them some good options to choose from. You can keep dry goods on the counter or cabinet and perishables in the fridge. We have a special snack drawer!
Hard boil eggs once a week
Hard boiled eggs are a great protein addition to your kids lunches. They are a great snack too!
Cut sandwiches with cookie cutters.
Make lunches more fun by using cookie cutters to cut sandwiches into fun shapes and get rid of crusts. You will also drastically increase the chances of them actually eating their entire sandwich!
Cookie cutters are fun for fruits and cheese too!
Let’s be honest, shapes make food more fun. Use small cookie cutters to cut fruit and cheeses into fun bite sized shapes.
Put your food on a stick!
Let’s be honest, food on skewers are way more fun than plain sandwiches!
Use tortillas instead of bread!
Mix things up and use tortillas. From quesadilla pinwheel and DIY mini pizzas to cheesy rollups, tortillas are a fun addition to a school lunch.