Use this back to school checklist to help you get ready for school!
Three to four weeks before the big day:
- Go through your child’s clothing – make note of what he/she needs and sizes. Confirm school dress code policies if needed. Don’t forget shoes!
- Sometimes your school’s Website will post school supply lists, important dates or other information. Be sure to check it out. (make sure to note days where there is no school so you can arrange for child care if needed)
- Start checking out the sales for back to school supplies. Check both the ads in your circulars and online too.
- Reconfirm your emergency contacts from last year and make sure they are still willing to pick up your child in case the school can’t reach you.
- Check to make sure your child’s immunization records are current.
- If your child wears glasses, consider getting their eyes checked and a new pair of glasses for back to school.
- Order name labels for your child’s belongings! Many kids have the same or similar jackets, backpacks and lunch boxes.
Two weeks before:
- Shop for school supplies and clothes. (However I recommend not shopping for school supplies if you don’t have the schools list yet – just in case)
- If your child is going to be using a locker for the first time, have them practice opening a combination lock – I know this was challenging for me at first.
- Confirm child-care arrangements for younger children and before and after school if needed.
- If your child needs a haircut, now is the time to get it, just in case something goes wrong you have two weeks for it to grow.
- Start any new school routines for morning and evening and enforce bedtimes!
One week before:
- Wash your child’s new clothes and make sure to use your labels.
- Ask your child if they have any questions or concerns about school.
- Plan back to school lunches and shop for any needed groceries. If your child’s school has a lunch card or account, pre-pay it for them so they can buy lunch.
- If it’s their first time at school, consider visiting the school to show them their classroom, playground, etc.
- Find out where your bus stop is and confirm pick up and drop off times with the school’s transportation.
The night before the first day of school:
- Set the table for breakfast. Put out anything that isn’t perishable.
- Set out clothes, shoes and backpacks for the morning.
- Do that evening routine you’ve been practicing!
- Make sure you and your child go to bed on time!