Thanks to Foster Farms for sponsoring this recipe to make the best bacon cheddar waffle sandwich! This post may contain affiliate links.
I’ve been raving about Foster Farms Chicken a lot lately, and they’ve recently released a new product, Foster Farms Baked, which is currently only available on the West Coast. It’s quickly becoming a dinner staple in our house, especially because they they go from freezer to table in under 12 minutes, making them the perfect weeknight meal.
I’m all about making food fun, so I decided to do more than just serve the chicken with veggies. I wanted to make a sandwich, but not just ANY sandwich. A chicken bacon cheddar waffle sandwich. After all, you can take the girl out of the south, but you can’t take the south out of the girl.
Make a bacon cheddar waffle sandwich!
To make the ultimate savory waffle sandwich, you’ll need Foster Farms Baked Chicken, Avocado, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Maple/Mustard Sauce and the most amazing bacon cheddar waffle recipe. After some digging on the internet for a good buttermilk waffle recipe, I found a few that incorporated ingredients IN the waffles themselves, and I knew I’d found just what I needed. If you can add blueberries to waffles, why can’t you add BACON to waffle batter?
Tip: I make these savory buttermilk waffles in batches, so I have them on hand. Then I just need to heat my Foster Farms Baked Chicken, slice some veggies and warm the waffles to perfection. You’ll need to pick up your chicken at participating stores, and here’s how to make the waffles. You can learn more about Foster Farms Baked Chicken below the recipe.
The most amazing bacon cheddar waffle!
Note: It’s important to use the ingredients room temperature where noted, it WILL affect the consistency of your waffles. I also use fresh eggs from my chickens, also at room temperature.
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup brown sugar (light)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 large eggs, room temperature
⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
8 slices bacon, cooked to almost crispy and crumbled (I bake mine in the oven)
1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
4 green onions thinly sliced
If making the sandwich, you’ll also need: avocado, lettuce and tomato.
1. Preheat your waffle iron, I use my Cusinart Griddler because it makes the perfect sandwich slice waffles.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside
3. Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl. (this is important, it keeps shells out of your batter and also avoids putting bad eggs in all your dry ingredients, trust me, it’s happened.)
4. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in the beaten eggs.
5. Add the cooled melted butter and buttermilk.
6. Stir the batter with a wooden spoon until it’s slightly lumpy, but well combined. If it’s too thick, add a little buttermilk and gently stir until pouring consistency is reached.
7. Fold in the bacon, shredded cheese, and green onions.
8. Carefully grease your waffle iron with cooking spray or melted butter (remember, it’s hot)
9. Pour in about ½ cup batter in each waffle cavity,
10. Cook until the waffles are golden brown and crispy, generally about 5-7 minutes.
11. As you cook them, put the waffles on a cooling rack set over a baking sheet in a 200° F oven to keep the waffles warm until ready to eat.
12. Waffles will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days, or frozen for longer! To reheat, I put my waffles into the toaster.
For a savory syrup, combine equal parts spicy ground mustard with pure maple syrup.
To make the best bacon and cheddar waffle sandwiches, place a Foster Farms Baked Chicken Breast on one of your savory waffles, top with lettuce, tomato, avocado & drizzle with your savory syrup. You may need skewers to hold your sandwich together. It’s delicious, but it’s messy.
Learn more about Foster Farms Baked Chicken
Get the full details on about Foster Farms Baked Chicken and download a coupon.
BAKED, never fried.
50% Less Fat, 25% Fewer Calories
BAKED-IN Goodness In Every Bite.
All Foster Farms chicken are 100% all natural chicken with no added hormones or steroids, made with white meat and of course are Baked NEVER fried.
They’re fully-cooked so you just take them out of the freezer and heat and serve in under 12 minutes in the over, or 2-3 minutes in the microwave.